Friday, March 29, 2013

30 - Last visit with Mickie 1989



THE RITZ CARLTON, Washington D.C.



     When my brother, Mickie, was living in Washington DC and dying of AIDS, we went to see the brilliant cabaret artist Julie Wilson at the Ritz Carlton.  It had started snowing and a lot more was on the way, and only about a dozen people showed up.   Mickie still lived in his apartment just around the corner, and I was staying nearby at a cheap hotel whose name I have since forgotten.  

Julie Wilson w/ signature boa and gardenia
      Julie Wilson was one of those Gotham sophisticates I had read about as a child in my Aunt Martha’s old New Yorkers. She was the undisputed queen of the New York hotel supperclubs, reigning supreme at the St. Regis’ Maisonette in the 1950’s, later at the Algonquin’s Oak Room. 

     Even though she never had more than a discreet following outside of New York City, I knew all about her.  I had gone to see the movie “This Could be the Night” just to catch her supporting role as a night-club singer.  The 1950’s censors had quite a tussle with MGM over the film’s plot which revolved around if, when, and with whom Jean Simmons was going to lose her virginity.

     At the Ritz Carlton we all chatted between Sondheim songs –Mickie and I and Julie and Billy Roy, her longtime accompanist and song stylist.  It was the first time I had heard “I’m Still Here.” I have heard it many times since, but Julie Wilson’s rendition remains by far the most accomplished.*

      Throughout the evening Mickie laughed so loudly that it embarrassed me, but he really enjoyed himself.  It was our last visit together, and I’m glad I have that memory.   I never had much of a friendship with Mickie (unlike his twin Dickie with whom I have always been close), but we were able to mend our fences in his final years. 


Mickie w/twin brother Dickie 1955
Our parents were not good about Mickie’s illness.  AIDS was naturally not an easy thing for them to deal with in 1986, particularly I suppose in the rural south. They were so afraid of what people would say, so prepared for a kind of rejection of themselves as well as of Mickie, that they probably never really saw that theirs was the only lack of acceptance of all our extended friends and family.  Everyone else was wonderfully supportive.
 
     That night at the Ritz Carlton I asked Julie Wilson something about the movies she had made in Hollywood.

     “MOVIES?” she laughed.  “Nobody’s ever asked me about them.   I don’t even remember those movies myself.” I told her I had seen “This Could be the Night” more than once (I didn’t tell her I was still a child at the time).  I think she was more bewildered than pleased, but she was warm and pleasant to talk with. 
  
Wilson in movie still with Anthony Franciosa and Paul Douglas

     I suspect they realized that Mickie was sick, and maybe that it was such a special treat for him to be drinking champagne at the Ritz Carlton, listening to her torch songs and generally still being alive.  She and her pianist joined us at the break, and both let out great whoops  when they heard I lived in Paris.  They said they had both dreamed of living there, but neither had ever gotten around to doing it.

Mickie around 1974


 * * * * * * * *

 
*Here’s a link to Julie Wilson singing Sondheim’s “I’m Still Here!”  She is accompanied by the late Billy Roy who was there the night Mickie and I heard her at the Ritz Carlton.  I guarantee you won't regret it (click on photo):  





Your input is welcomed:  hotel-musings@hotmail.fr

Next Friday:  "Hotel dramas:  fire, water and a bloody Fall!"

27 comments:

Chef Michael said...

Thank you for sharing this very warm and special memory with us!

Richard Pleasants said...

Mickie would have been 65 in a couple of weeks. I am always impressed with how you tell such a story with so few words. A true gift. There are a couple of pictures which are new to me.
The Julie Wilson "clip" is extraordinary.
Thank you,
Dickie

Rosanne said...

What a moving story.....and I certainly enjoyed the musical interlude
Cheers, Rosanne

Marina in Amsterdam said...

This is a very special gift. Thank you.

Mike in D.C. said...

This is very touching. i still remember your brother, when he was alive and vital. I remember when you told me he was ill, dying, and then later how your parents had such trouble with it. i am glad you had those moments together. i hope the artists appreciated being able to bring special pleasure to someone. i was just thinking the other day that if and when i meet show biz people in the future i wlll just say to them, thank you for bringing me (or many people) such pleasure.... Again, thanks for this memory.

Sam Portaro said...

Deepest thanks for this pre-Easter gift. Today being Good Friday, with its profound focus upon death—a theme I must address this evening at a service in a neighboring parish—it's especially nice to visit again with Mickie and his family, to be reminded of laughter and joy shared on so many occasions, and to be thankful once again for the friendship of this remarkable man whose faith in me was so important in the fulfillment of my own vocation. As we age, the veil between us grows thin and I anticipate with gladness the hope of cocktails and laughter resumed in a life beyond this one.

France Forever 24/7 said...

Memories are what we take with us, and it's especially touching that this event is so memorable for you - nice post and Happy Easter!

Lorna in New Caledonia said...

lovely story!

Anne in Charlottesville said...

It was wonderful to read about Mickie and to see the photos of him! One forgets how young he was when he died.

Mickie and I had a close,rewarding friendship from 1977 when I moved to Charlottesville until he died. We talked on the phone often and long--when we suspected the other was calling (before caller I.D.) we'd say"It's your nickel"! I can remember being embarrassed more than once when the caller was NOT Mickie!

When my daughter Susan was about ten she boarded the train alone early one Saturday morning and Mickie picked her up about three hours later in D.C. He had a weekend planned--the First Ladies' Gowns at the Smithsonian and a ballet at the Kennedy Center are what I remember. I drove up on Sunday to get her and she was delighted with her first city weekend without a parent.

Mickie was a terrible patient! I came for a weekend when he was still in his apartment, and he was full of complaints. He didn't need me to clean, to get groceries, the noise from the construction at the Phillips was unbearable, etc. As I was getting ready to leave he changed his mind, deciding he did want me to vacuum, clean the kitchen and yes, some milk and fruit would be nice if I would just run down to the corner store!

As Mickie was living out his last days at the hospice my son Warren and his band played at the D.C. Gay Pride Festival and dedicated a song to him.

I still miss Mickie and appreciate your entry about him.

Kathy in Red Bank said...

I found this story so touching. I remember very vividly when you told me that Mickie was dying of AIDS and of your parents inability to come to terms with his llness. For the past 12 years,I’ve worked for an AIDS Foundation in Manhattan and am familiar with the stigma that still exists around this insidious disease – almost 25 years after Mickie’s passing. But more and more people have become educated about HIV/AIDS and, in the United States and the industrialized world, at least, people have access to life- prolonging medications, which, sadly, were not available when Mickie was ill. Yours was a lovely tribute to Mickie’s memory as was that of Sam Portaro.

I loved the Julie Wilson video. I think it shows my age that I lived through most of the events she sang about! The Dionne quintuplets! I remember how popular they were back in the 1950s when I was a kid, and I believe they were featured on the cover of Life or Look magazine.

I always look forward to starting off my Friday mornings with your blog. Thanks, Frank.

Diana in Brevard said...

I just HAVE to respond to this posting. I want you to know that I enjoy all of your writings and memories.

It was such a pleasure to read about Mickey and you and the Ritz-Carlton. I never knew Mickey as a grown-up,but knew of his death. Thanks for the photos of him --so handsome! You writing about him is uplifting, poignant, and honest. I am so glad that you were able to spend that time with him. I had a similar experience with my older brother, John.

Chris in Norfolk, England said...

A sad and poignant story which time has not diminished and a very appropriate one for Good Friday. By telling us about your brother, you have also given a bit of your- self with this precious memory and triggered happy memories of him for many others. I had never heard of Julie Wilson, but she was obviously a classic cabaret performer.

Polly in Burlington said...

I remember vividly Mickie’s illness and Norf and Jeanne’s suffering and heartbreak. Mother and Daddy suffered quietly with them.

Mickie visited Mother and Daddy often when he was in town. They loved his visits. He entertained them. A couple of times when I was home, he visited. We all laughed and laughed and had the best time being together. There was no one like him.

On this Good Friday, more memories have been stirred up and,too, a bit of sadness.

Pilar in Paris said...

Mickie looks so handsome!! Sorry I did not know him. How tragic for the family and friends.

Unfortunately AIDS continues taking the lives of lovely people. Sam wrote the most beautiful words.
If I guess well you were three brothers. Dickie looks very much like you.

Thanks for the blog!

Kasey in Southern Pines said...

I hardly know where to begin my comment this week. With your exquisite writing, with Mickie or just with the sadness of the disease.

You have a gift in bringing us in touch with so many subjects at once and doing so in such a simple and touching way. I am happy to listen to the video and sad to think of Mickie leaving so young.

The pictures are touching and leave me a little melancholy for those days or for something?? I'm not sure exactly, but it left me longing. Perhaps for more of your writing?. Thank you.

Rebecca in Cape Cod said...

So touching Frank. I did not know about Mickie. What a handsome fellow, and what a night to remember you had with him. I did listen to Julie, and read the piece on Mickie. Much food for thought in that.

Joel in Fredericksburg said...

I was very moved to read about your brother Mickie. I did not know, or had forgotten, that you had a brother who died of AIDS... Your blog is always a joy to read.

Jen in Sydney said...

I am so glad you made your peace with Mickie before he died. Death is so final and we have to live with our memories and regrets.
In the eighties I had a hairdresser named Ross who after a while, confided in me that his partner had died of aids. He said he was estranged from his father. Ross was such a fun person to be with. We laughed and laughed and we shared the same stupid sense of humour. He eventually succumbed to the disease himself and had to leave work. I tried to keep in touch to see how he was faring but he eventually disappeared. I like to think that his father came back in to his life before he died.

Elva in Guatemala said...

Beautiful...loved the song....remembering Mickie.....me in central america...you in paris.....a long way from aberdeen.........

NYC said...

Touching story! The Julie Wilson "you tube" was superb!

Marion in Suresne said...

Thank you, Frank. So moving!

Jenny in Fayetteville said...

Loved your visit with Mickie!

Late in L A said...

Poignant memories!

Margaret in Southern Pines said...


I thought the latest blog was wonderful and brought back a lot of memories. Thank You.

Jane in Monroe said...

I really enjoyed seeing your photos of Mickey when he was grown. He was a good looking fellow, and I don't think I ever saw him after he finished at Carolina. Mother always talked about his visits home because he usually came by the house to see her and blow off steam, I think. That was a sad time for everybody who knew him; glad to know the two of you made peace of sorts with one another before he was gone.

Marilyn in Michigan said...

The post about your brother really touched me. It is wonderful that you could have such fun at a bad time, then the warm memories of a lovely evening. We need to cherish those times.

Ann in Aberdeen said...

Enjoyed reading about Mickie and your last visit with him. I am sure he relived it to his last breath.