Wednesday, November 14, 2012

11 - INTERMEZZO, Between Hotels in the 1970s


Money, money, money .... but not much for me!

      People have sometimes been sceptical of my claim to modest means, and it is certain that I have, on occasion, chosen some rather costly places to spend the night.    Many would call it living above one’s means, and that may be true.  I think of it more as living frugally when necessary in order to live it up when the right opportunity presents itself.

Among my many vices as a young man was a rather common illness that manifested itself basically in a total inability to handle money.  Until I was thirty, my finances were just about always in a catastrophic state. 

French banks were terrible for my malady, because for whatever peculiar reason, they tended to allow great overdrafts without getting too concerned.  In my case, just as I was entering my fourth decade, my overdraft exceeded my salary.  That meant in essence that I was already stone broke the day my salary was deposited.  It went on for a long time, and as I had never really known any other way of dealing with money, I never expected to get myself out of this permanent financial rut.

But I did.  In fact, I had what might be the equivalent of a born-again experience.  Someone gave me some life-changing advice, and the extraordinary thing was that I listened.  I can’t remember for sure, but it must have been my bank manager, in which case I owe him an immense debt of gratitude

First, I was told to write down meticulously everything I spent during the month, not to leave a single penny unaccounted for.  I did this, and was astounded to suddenly realize how much money I was spending on magazines that I wasn’t reading, taxis far slower than public transport, not to mention cigarettes and various and sundry extravagances, none of which were giving me the slightest pleasure. 

Then came the clinker, my spiritual awakening:  if I could ever figure out a way to pay off my debts, I could conceivably count on the money I was squandering on rubbish to spend in the future on all sorts of wonderful things that I had heretofore been unable to afford.

I am simplifying a little, but once I reimbursed --little by little-- my wonderfully patient bank manager, I started thinking about what would really give me pleasure, and  I have never looked back, and have never actually been completely broke again.

It didn’t hurt that this coincided with a reasonably good office job at UNESCO.  By now I had stopped drinking, and that certainly didn’t hurt financially either.  


I remember when I quit smoking in 1978 (during my first trip to Taormina), I started a piggy bank in which I religiously deposited my “cigarette money” every day, with the enthusiastic resolution to spend it at some future point on something much more pleasurable.

When I started the art business in 1979 as a possibly money-making hobby to offset a less than stimulating clerical job, I made myself a promise that if ever there were any profits, I would only use them for the kind of luxuries I could otherwise not afford.  And that is what I’ve always done.  These once-unaffordable pleasures more often than not turned into hotels and restaurants.

So if you’d like to buy a charming, inexpensive watercolour from another era, go straight to "My Paris Fine Art Gallery," and know that the proceeds will most likely find their way into the coffers of some grand hotel.  Or perhaps another lunch at the Ritz when it ever reopens.    

Mid-Seventies me (photo Martin Woods)
-o-

      

INTERLUDE, Hotel restaurants in the 1980’s  

Busy Sunday lunchtime at the Hotel Negresco's Chantecler Restaurant, Nice

      I gravitated to hotel restaurants when I was alone, because they were obviously the places most accommodating and accustomed to single diners.  As I had a clear taste for both fine food and travel, and as I have lived much of my life with no immediate family, I decided early on that there was no reason to deprive myself of some of the things that gave me the most pleasure, just because I didn’t always have someone to share them with.

   Even so, it was not always so easy to enter some of those palatial, formal dining rooms all by myself.  In the beginning there were times when I felt all eyes upon me, and sometimes they really were.

Windsor
  In the same way that some actors are said to pretend the audience is naked in an effort to overcome stage fright, I invented a game with myself, whereby in the privacy of my mind, I became a kind of latter day Duke of Windsor (I would pretend the Duchess had been delayed).    For most people it wouldn’t have been necessary, but I lacked the self confidence for the single lifestyle I sometimes chose for myself, and my make-believe games seemed to work.

(I now wonder what games the real Windsor played to "be" the Duke of Windsor!)

Poster from the novel's film version
Some years ago I came across a particularly pertinent observation in the very entertaining French novel by Maurice Drouon, “Les Grandes Familles.”  It was something to the effect that no one --no matter how old or how successful-- ever feels totally within himself that he has become an adult.

Until I read that (and I was probably reaching the mid-century mark at the time), I had somehow thought that most people DID feel the confidence of their age, and that I was one of the odd ones who continued to feel the same insecurity of their childhood. 

I suddenly understood and accepted that I was not alone, that no one was really immune to multiple insecurities.  It was when I understood this that I no longer needed the games.

End of evening at the Hotel Shangri-la's l'Abeille restaurant, Paris





Your input is welcomed:  hotel-musings@hotmail.fr


Next Friday:  One last trip to the Timeo ... with Duncan

13 comments:

Richard said...

not "a room with a view" but "an author with a view"
Dickie

Catrin in Paris said...

This is about the best and most profound blog of yours I have read so far... in particular about the money...

And how grateful you must be for sharing your most keen interests with a soul-mate like Brenda.

Thank you for displaying this new-found openness and sharing it with your friends!

(Incidentally, I'm just reading the latest book by Jane Fonda (now age 74) "Prime Time" where she gives tips and describes the so-called Act III of our lives. I'm amazed to read about HER insecurities. This therefore also proves what you describe to be true...)

Kasey in Southern Pines said...

I love that this one had the grand photos and art and a bit of philosophy as well.

I remember hearing the phrase "adult child" (actually referring to the adult child of an alcoholic ,but I didn't know it at the time) and thinking "oh there is a name for someone like me." Someone who is a grown-up in years only. It was later that I was disappointed to learn that it was not a term used to describe the childlike thoughts and actions in my otherwise adult self.

I'm happy now to hear that someone has put it to words, in a book and a blog no less. Thanks for my Friday treat.

George in Cambridge said...

I knew almost the whole story but you wrote it so well. It is a pleasure knowing someone who enjoys fine things in life. Keep up the stories for those of us who live vicariously.

Samantha in Clitheroe, England said...

And a very Informative Friday lesson too!

Martin Woods in Amsterdam said...

Great resolution and so relatively young. I'm envious, you managed to quit smoking decades before I did. I also wonder what ever happened to that big, green, rather fine cushion...

Chris in Norfolk, England said...

This “musing” must chime with so many people! When I first met you, Frank, I came away with the feeling that you were one of the most relaxed people I have ever met, totally at ease with yourself and what fate had brought you ... and that Brenda was the icing on the cake of your life – and her’s! Lucky people!

I often feel that I am still on that yellow brick road wondering what I am going to do when I grow up!

Frank Pleasants said...

Thanks, Chris. I am always amazed when people say I give the impression of being relaxed.

A physical therapist who treated me for back problems years ago once told me that when I first entered his office he thought I was the coolest, most relaxed guy .... then after 30 seconds kneading my back muscles, he realized that I was the complete opposite of the image projected!

Jen in Sydney said...

Your latest blog triggered yet another memory. Years ago, on a trip to Paris (Brenda will remember though she wasn't with us on that particular day) after a tiring sightseeing day, we went to a little cafe. Entering the door we were greeted by a lot of smiling faces, and a piano in the background playing the theme from “The Pink Panther”. After about ten minutes we understood what was happening. The Pink Panther melody was being matched to each patron on entering the cafe. There was the dirge when a sour faced man came in, a slow thump when an over sized lady walked in, a tinkling of the ivories when a young pretty girl walked in and a discordant version when a couple walked in obviously having an argument. Because you were not aware at the time, no one was insulted and eventually everyone joined in the fun. It just shows how your body language can give you away!
Body language set to music!
I love watching people entering a restaurant or any public place. I see my own insecurities – let’s face it we all have them – reflected in so many ways.

Jenny in Fayetteville said...

I love reading your blogs. It is truly a visit with you. You are putting into words what so many people feel. You are able to connect with people face to face, and you are connecting once again with me in your writing. Thank you.

24/7 in France said...

We just splurged on a week in Paris, so now we'll be saving more centimes for the next new adventure. I stopped smoking in 1984, when cigarettes were 75 cents per pack, so I can always justify a little frivolity, especially with what they would cost today! Thanks for your amusing post.

Pilar in Paris said...

Like many of your friends I am also looking forward reading your e-mails on Friday.

Your last one is very sweet and touching. Your good mid-seventies looks surely helped in playing the Duke of Winsor part.
I wonder what the duke, himself, played to have such a superior air while in Biarritz at
the "Hotel du Palais" (a 5-étoiles)!

The beautiful Palais was built by
Napoleon III for his wife Eugenia. A drink of chocolate with cinnamon is
gorgeous.

Keith in Capetown said...

Your blog is brilliant! I look forward to Friday, I receive it on my mobile & when I’m home I can study the pics.

You have woven an ingenious story around such a simple subject ---- keep those episodes rolling.

I think a few of us could relate to last weeks “financial woes” Thoroughly entertaining!