Friday, September 14, 2012

3 - Peggy’s Trip to Paris 1972



HOTEL MEURICE, Paris



Restaurant Dali, Hotel Meurice 2012


   
        I had another encounter with the Hotel Meurice in those early days.  There remain only a few memory fragments, it was so long ago.  I think the reason I haven’t completely forgotten is that making my life and learning about life in Paris was of inordinate importance to me at that time.  My dream from the earliest moments here was to somehow become a Parisian.

Martha circa 1970
 Aunt Martha (true to my father’s grim predictions about squandering money) had somewhat fallen on hard times by the 1970’s.  Having reached retirement age, she found herself sufficiently in need of money to go back to work in the accounting department of a local gift soap emporium where she befriended Peggy, a college student working there during summer vacation.

Soon afterwards, Peggy decided on a trip to Paris, and Martha insisted she look me up.

She was traveling with an older woman as sort of a traveling companion.  I didn’t quite understand their relationship, other than Peggy had a strong, loudish, not very appealing personality, and it was clear that the other lady was footing the bills. I wasn't very taken with either of them.   I was invited for drinks at the Meurice where they were staying, a world I was still singularly unused to, but no longer intimidated by either.

We had a drink at the Meurice’s rooftop bar.  I’m glad I went, because that open-air terrace no longer exists --except, I believe, in one of the presidential penthouse suites-- and I fondly remember the impressive view of the Tuileries Gardens and the Place de la Concorde.

Painting of the Tuileries Gardens by Jules Herve

I was still quite poor.  I had moved from my Champs Elysées room to a minuscule studio apartment with toilet on the landing; I was young, and I had  friends who were equally poor, and life in my adopted city seemed close to perfect. 

 (It’s odd how many times over the years bits and pieces of Peggy and of that evening have passed through my mind, even though I hardly remember her face anymore.) 

She suddenly announced she was so smitten with Paris that she, too, was going to find a way to move here.

Yours Truly, 1971 (photo Ann Gazères)

In the decades I’ve lived in France, I have seen so many Americans arrive to make their lives here, only to throw up their arms in exasperation or anger a few months or a few years later.  It is not easy to learn a new language and understand another culture, and accept such a different way of life all at the same time.  

I was just about to warn her that life might not be quite so glamorous in a more humble neighborhood far from the Meurice.  She pre-empted my comments, by adding:  “And I wouldn’t dream of living in any other neighborhood than right here on the rue de Rivoli, and I would need at least 1000 square feet to house my furniture, and …."

You can fill in the blanks.   I have forgotten the details, but she continued to list just about everything that would make  living comfortable in, say, Palm Beach, and assuming Paris would naturally have to accommodate all of those American necessities.

I realized I would never have to worry about seeing Peggy settle in Paris, and of course she never did. 


The Meurice Reception Staff 2012

* * * * * * *

 

SIDEBAR:  PARIS’ BEST HAMBURGER 


The New York Times last year decreed the hamburger at the Meurice Hotel’s Dali Restaurant the best in Paris.

I did try it, and I did enjoy it.

If not absolutely the best in the world (Brenda and I find unbeatable  the more modestly priced cheeseburger at P.J. Clarke’s on 3rd Avenue in NYC), it is nevertheless very tasty, albeit among the most expensive. 
  
 Next week I’ll be talking about another memorable hamburger, one from the Weylin Hotel in New York in 1954.  That one cost at least ten times the price back in Aberdeen.  Today’s prize winning burger at the Meurice goes for just about ten times the price at a French MacDonald’s.    Not that the two are comparable.

In addition to Salvador Dali, who elected winter residence in the old royal suite for the last thirty years of his life, the hotel has boasted guests ranging from Mata Hari to the Shah of Iran to Franklin D. Roosevelt, though not at the same time.  More comtemporary patrons include pop icons Madonna and Beyonce.

After many years of discreet decline, The Meurice is today back in tip-top form and a model of European elegance.  Already in 1935, the French poet Léon-Paul Fargue, known for his bon mots, divided Parisian hotels into three categories:  “poor, good and the Meurice!”

(photo:  The Sunday Herald Sun)
 

... When Salvador Dali reigned supreme

My friend Joel Fletcher, art dealer in Fredricksburg, Virginia, author and grand raconteur, tells an amusing story situated in the Meurice at just about the same time that I discovered it. 

He recounted it beautifully in his blog “Beating Austerity in the Kitchen” (beatingausterity.blogspot.com).   It’s about Salvador Dali and the Countess von Oldekop-Auberjonois.  If you are curious, here is a link to his blog (but don’t forget to come back to mine next week): 



Your input is welcomed:  hotel-musings@hotmail.fr


Next Friday:  "A Two-Dollar Hamburger Under A Silvery Dome"

[photos are mine unless otherwise credited] 


 


18 comments:

Walt Howerton (untexan) said...

I look forward to these posts. They have become part of my Friday morning. You know I was born in a hotel? They fascinate me.

And it is nice to get a glimpse of who you were and what you were up to when you had gone to Paris and I'd only gone as far as Atlanta.

Lorna from Noumea, New Caledonia said...

I really enjoyed that one.

Martin from Amsterdam said...

I am so enjoying your blog Frank, I like very much the way you write and especially so since we spent time together as friends in Paris during the seventies.

NYC said...

as you know, I am up early on Friday to click on to your blog.
No disappointments so far...just
realized that's Brenda in picture of dining at Meurice.
Dickie

nathan said...

oooo!! that hamburger looks good

Frank Pleasants said...

to Nathan: but the real hamburger at the Meurice looks much better!!

Vicky and Jimmy said...

Love your work, what
talent you have.

We thoroughly enjoyed reading all about your "growing-up" years and people and places that we remember also; brought back great
memories. The hotels and pictures, well what fun.....

Rebecca from West Barnstable, MA said...

Just wonderful! So enjoyable Frank.

Brenda said...

Just love them. I'm very proud of you!!

Jen from Sydney said...

Your latest blog triggered an hilarious memory of when we lived in Greenwich, Connecticut. Along with my other two expatriate friends we decided on one of our “doing New York city” trips we would have a real American hamburger. We found a place with the promising name of “Hamburger Joint”. We placed our order and the hamburgers arrived with a thumb placed squarely in the middle of each bun to ensure
they did not slide on to the floor. We nibbled round the bun and left three circles with thumb indentations on the plates. Perhaps not the best hamburger I have had but certainly the funniest.

NYC said...

well written and I love the "side bars".

Chris in Norfolk said...

Again lots of interesting snippets and memories - and another photo of Bren in glamorous surroundings!
If George and I visit New York, we’ll know where to go for a decent hamburger, thanks!

Kasey said...

Frank, I am a bit late in responding but I was not late in reading this on Friday. It was so easy to read and so easy to "know" Peggy. I was amused by her and your experience with her and her companion. I felt like a true "fly on the wall" watching it all rather than just reading it. And the aside about the burgers was equally entertaining. Can't wait for more.

Frank Pleasants said...

thnx, Kasey. I'll see you first thing Friday morning at the Weylan, just hope I won't be too tired after a night on the Silver Star!

Madeleine said...

I've very much enjoyed reading your Hotel Blog and your reminiscing. I think when we get to our age, it's wonderful to record our past lives and the things that meant a lot to us.

Well done - I look forward to reading some more.

Kim said...

Enjoyable read - we will be traveling to Paris in November and love the City of Light!

Pilar in Paris said...

Today I ate a tasty hamburger (also quite expensive)at the Meurice. The Dali's setting is very glamorous and the clients high class (next to our table was a wife of a former Franch President)! It was great fun.

Marianne Lorraine said...

Paris Hotels memorable experience for myself.Thanks for your nice information.